A quick-reference guide to help you research your choices for this election season.
Join National PTA in Commitment to #STOPCutsToClassrooms
Read the Spring 2017 SMAC Legislative Update
Download the SMAC Legislative Guide
Click here to download an extensive guide provided by the Shawnee Mission Area Council (SMAC) PTA provides:
- Kansas PTA's legislative platform
- SMSD Legislative platform
- Trusted sources for non-partisan organizations advocating for education in Kansas (pages 19-22)
- Twitter handles, websites and links for news sources and organizations to keep you up-to-date on current issues (page 17)
- Tips for contacting legislators to voice your opinions and concerns
- State Senate and State Representative Maps
- Voting records to help research incumbent candidates (pages 15-16)
- Super Chats with Jim Hinson schedule (page 18)
Register and Vote!
- The deadline to register to vote in the November 2016 general election is October 18
- The General Election is November 8. Polls are open 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Check to see if you're registered to vote
- Register online to vote
- Register by mail to vote
- Find out how to advance vote (Oct. 24 - Nov. 7)
- Find your polling location to vote on November 8
Vote the Whole Ticket
Know Your Kansas Legislative Districts
Most Trailwood families live in the Kansas Senate district 7. Trailwood area includes two Representative districts: 19 and 20.
- Search by your address to find out what Kansas House and Senate districts you're in.
- The Kansas Legislature's website provides information on issues currently being discussed and voted on, as well as a history of how current legislators have voted.
Who's on the Ballot?
Kansas Senate District 7
- Stephanie Clayton (R, Incumbent) | See website
- Elizabeth Meitl (D) | See website
- John Taube (L) | See website
Kansas Supreme Court Justice retention is a hot topic in Kansas Education issues right now.