It's that time of year again for the PTA reflections contest. Open to students of all grades and all abilities. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to showcase your talents and represent Trailwood at the same time.
1. Explore one or all six disciplines, including:
- Dance Choreography - choreograph a 5-minute (maximum) solo/ensemble performance of ballet, contemporary, ethnic, folk, hip-hop, jazz, tap
- Film Production - director, screenwriter and camera person for animation, narrative, documentary, experimental, or media presentation (not PowerPoint)
- Literature - write up to 2,000 words of fiction or nonfiction including prose, poetry, drama, reflective essay, narrative, or short story
- Music Composition - compose, notate and perform or have performed up to 5 minutes of music for any instrument; music videos not accepted
- Photography - photograph a single photo, panoramic, photomontage, multiple exposure, negative sandwich or photogram (black & white or color)
- Visual Arts - accepted forms include: architecture (2D/3D), carpentry, ceramics, collages, photographic collages, computer generated image, crafts, design, dioramas, drawing, fiber work, jewelry, kites, metal etching/punch work, mobiles, painting, printmaking, sculpture, wind chimes
*Please see the official rules below for each category to know what is required for your entry.
2. Reflect on the Theme: “Heroes Around Me”
- Parents/caregivers can have a guided conversation with children about what the theme means
- Provide encouragement and needed materials
- Adults are welcome to encourage students but are asked not to assist in any way with their interpretation of the theme or artistic expression.
Each entry will be reviewed using the following criteria:
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
3. Submit your entry
Students must fill out the official Reflections entry form with each submission, including parent signature, the title of the artwork, and an artist statement of 10-100 words describing the student’s inspiration and personal connection to the theme and how the work relates to the theme. Please bring completed entries to the school for submission on or before Monday, October 22, 2018.
4. Win Awards and Prizes
Be considered for school, district, state and national level awards and prizes.
For further information, you can visit PTA.org/Reflections.