Here are some ways that you and your family can get involved around KC to help serve others! Holiday Heroes Program at KVC: Make the holidays brighter for children and teens involved in the child welfare system by providing gifts. https://kansas.kvc.org/get-involved/holiday-giving/holiday-giving/
- Thank volunteers: If you’re unable to make a volunteer commitment this season, thank those who can. Send a note to your local fire dept or a thank you letter to shelter volunteers. Or make sure those Salvation Army volunteers ringing holiday bells stay warm too with gloves, hats and coffee or hot cocoa (and donate to their cause!).
- Volunteer with the Salvation Army as a bell ringer:
- Mind your manners: When you’re out and about this holiday season, small acts of kindness can make a world of difference. Say thank you to your postal worker, let someone go in front of you in the crowded grocery line or smile at a stressed-out employees who may be overworked.
- Buy - or bake - a little extra: Another way to spread cheer without breaking the bank-or your schedule-is by doing a little extra of something you were already planning. Baking Christmas cookies? Make an extra batch for the local nursing home. Cooking up a big meal? Drop some off at the homeless shelter.
- Purchase toys for children in need. There are plenty of programs, like the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree , that can make sure your gift gets to a child in need.
- Sing a song. What’s more festive, spirited and soothing than music? If you don’t know of a caroling group already, gather one together to make rounds in your neighborhood or take your tunes to an assisted living facility and fill the halls with song.
- Donate anonymously: It doesn’t take long to go online, search out a cause that matters to you and your family and make a donation. OR buy someone's meal/drink when you're in line at a restaurant or in the drive-thru!
- Make a New Years Family Resolution to volunteer or do something kind in January, if the holidays are too busy!
Watch the calendar for our school-wide T-Bird Serve events next semester. Want to help plan some of our T-Birds Serve events? Contact Karen Badgett at firstname.lastname@example.org.